The Assignment

We launch our journey together over the summer by reading and responding to two American novels: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. As you read each novel, post original comments to the discussion blog as directed below.* Then respond thoughtfully to the posts of your classmates to create a conversation. Make sure you add something new to the conversation in your responses. Ask a question, challenge an assumption, offer a different interpretation or a new insight. "I agree" does not qualify as a meaningful response.

* Please avoid fishing for ideas on the Internet. We can all google Sparknotes and Shmoop for ourselves.


Here's how it works:


- Post at least THREE original comments to the blog for each novel. See the posting suggestions below.


- Then post at least THREE responses to other students' comments about each novel.


- Altogether, you should post at least SIX original comments and SIX responses.


* The goal of the response portion of the assignment is to set the tone for the year and develop a thoughtful conversation about our reading. Obviously, the conversation works only if people participate. Adding something at the last minute that no one will see does not equal participating in the conversation. Be aware that failure to complete these assignments before your return to school may result in your removal from the class.


Due dates:


- All posts about The Scarlet Letter should be completed by Friday, July 31st.


- All posts about The Handmaid's Tale should be completed by the first day of school.


. . . but try to post before the deadline!


Posting suggestions:


1. Cite a passage, and explain why it's important to the meaning of the work as a whole.


2. Cite a passage, and explain how it contributes to the development of a dynamic character.


3. Cite a passage that evokes a strong emotional response from you, and explore your reaction.


4. Cite a passage that you find confusing. Pose genuine clarifying questions for yourself and others. Posit answers to your own questions.


5. Cite a passage that strikes you as significant or interesting for another reason. Tell us why.



Assessment:


To earn maximum credit, post thoughtful responses that are at least a few sentences in length—and carefully proofread! Please avoid misspelling characters' or authors’ names. Also, be sure to include specific references to the text (either details or short quotations). Page numbers, too, are always helpful.

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Step-up Day Trial Posting

Welcome to AP English Lit!

To make sure everyone can access and post correctly on the summer reading blog, please reply to this post in the comments section introducing yourself and sharing your top five works of fiction (novels, poetry, or plays) that you consider most worthy of inclusion in your personal literary canon. Then comment on the post of one of your classmates. 



If you have any technical trouble with the blog—or if you will not have computer access over the summer and need an alternative assignment—please email Ms. Vail at vaile@link75.org.

Have a great summer & happy reading!

19 comments:

  1. I'm Anya Bachor, and I will be a junior in the fall. My top five works of fiction include: "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak; "Beartown" by Fredrik Backamn; "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr; "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho; and "Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy" by Gary D. Schmidt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anya, I look forward to being in class with you. I also really liked "Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy", and I was thinking of reading "All the Light We Cannot See", so I may read that since someone else recommended it.

      Delete
  2. I'm Cora Spelke, sorry this is so late, I just looked at the website. My top five works of fiction, would be "The Lost Girls of Paris" by Pam Jenoff, "Catcher in the Rye" by: J.D. Salinger, the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, "Lord of the Flies" by: William Golding, and "How the GarcĂ­a Girls Lost Their Accents" by Julia Alvarez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cora, I've actually read most of the books that you have on your list. I thought that both "Catcher in the Rye: and "Lord of the Flies" were pretty good, and I love The Hunger Games series! I haven't read are "The Lost Girls of Paris" and "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents", are they good?

      Delete
  3. I’m Hannah Huston, and my top works of fiction would also be Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, A Year Without Autumn by Liz Kessler, Divergent by Veronica Roth, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im Jackie Brochu and my top five works of fiction are "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett, all of the Harry Potter books, "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott, "The Color Purple" by Alice Walker, and "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Sadie Skinner, sorry this is so late, I just found it. My top five works of fiction would be the Apothecary series by Maile Meloy, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Recuerdo by Edna St. Vincent Millay, Love and First Sight by Josh Sundquist, and (also) Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry this is so late; I'm just now being able to re-access the website! I'm Shelby Myrick and my top five works of fiction are "We All Looked Up" by Tommy Wallach, "The Book Thief" by Marcus Zusak, "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" by Truman Capote, and "Gwendy's Button Box" by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelby!!! I like "The Book Thief" as well. I am excited to share an english class with you next year! I also like "To Kill a Mockingbird". :)

      Delete
  8. I'm Delaney Jacobson and my top five works of fiction are "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote, "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood (I read it Sophomore year), "The Diviners" by Libba Bray, The Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu, and "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore" by Robin Sloan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Delaney! It's Liv Tobin, I can't wait to work with you this year, those are also some of my favorite books, with the exception of the Diviners and Mr. Penumbra, but your taste is great and I can't wait to find out more about what you think of the literature we explore this year!

      Delete
    2. Hi Delaney, its Karli! I finally understand why you were so excited about Handmaid's Tale back in sophomore year, it's really good! I can't wait to see you in school again!

      Delete
  9. This is very late and for that I apologize! I'm Olivia, or Liv, and my top five works of fiction are "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe," by Benjamin Alire Saenz, "Milk and Honey" by Rupi Kaur, "To Kill a Mockingbird," by Harper Lee, The Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu, and "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm Maggie Shourds and my top five works of fiction are the "Harry Potter" Series, "The Hunger Games" Series the "Ink, Iron, and Glass" Duology by Gwendolyn Clare, "The Wicked Deep" by Shea Ernshaw, and "The Giver" Series by Lois Lowry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry! This is really late but I'm Owen and my top five works are probably "The Summoner" series by Taran Matharu, "The Harry Potter" series, "Uncle Toms Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe, "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare, "To kill a mockingbird" by Harper Lee. I love this last book and that is "Game of Thrones"by George R.R. Martin. A Poem that I like is "On Aging" by Maya Angelou.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry this is extremely late! I'm Karli and my top five works are the "Hunger Games" series by Suzanne Collins, the "Harry Potter" series, "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger, the "Throne of Glass" series by Sarah J. Maas, and "H2O" by Virginia Bergin.

    ReplyDelete